tombola draw and an almost finished BirdQuilt!
|the 13 names have gone into the cap!|
so another couple of birds will soon leave the nest
and now for something completely different
tada! I am so happy it's (almost) done:
still a couple of loose ends to tidy up on the back and maybe, just maybe, I will add a running stitch here and there
the colourful front is a patchwork mix of cottons and linens, many of which have been donated
the back, of which a tiny purple triangle can be glimpsed in the image above, was the original cheap shop-bought machine-sewn quilt; after years of use I was fed up with the patina of stains and dyed it a dark purple.....I tore out the diagonal quilting stitches and removed the bias binding; after having made the patchwork I ended up with these four layers: purple-dyed cotton, padding, purple-dyed cotton and the patchwork;
these were first roughly basted together with a long running stitch in all directions. Using a large quilting hoop, starting in the middel of course, I began quilting properly. Moving along in more or less straight lines with a running stitch up-and-down, and left-to-right.
I finally used the diamond-shaped marks left from the machine stitching and this made for some interesting intersecting lines all over