it is what it is.....
|hanging out to dry|
|huge walnut leaf|
to be perfectly honest (and why wouldn't I be?) I was very disappointed with the first results: hardly any kind of imprints; so back to the drawing board, and more willow leaves were rolled into the bundles (from the grey willow rather than the yellow one which I first used, haven't yet sorted out if that makes a difference) and hydrangea flowers from a friend, as they happened to be wilting in a vase - have I mentioned it is deliciously HOT! over here, a dry heat, very summery indeed - and then some cloth strips were refolded and wrapped around copper pipes ; all the bundles went into a stainless steel bowl together with an old alum mix from 2016 I found at the back of my dye cupboard for good measure; I added a teaspoon of alum and a generous measure of copper/vinegar, also rediscovered in the dye cupboard; I am pretty sure the aluminium pot first time round contained old colours, which is why the oak apple mordant gave such rich tints, instead of being neutral.
I am quite satisfied, although not completely over the moon with the final, very subtle results and say to self 'it's the process that counts not the end result'
However I have not made notes and therefore will not be able to replicate exactly, hmmm so much for my initial determination to act with forethought and a system! it is how I do things
|best cloth, as it as leaf imprint, walnut, and several shades of brown|
|I like this one as you can actually see the leaf veins, walnut again, in this case a huge leaf, i.e. larger than my hand|