Sunday, 3 June 2012

black bean silk shirt shibori


the resulting colour is a pale blue-green colour; I had tied the black beans on the inside (my mistake), meaning the most definition is on the inside as well, so I am going to have to cut the shirt and sew the loose bits onto the linen shirt, as I want to make a reversible quilted jacket; I am not sure what kind of seams I am going to use



the shirt was mordanted in soymilk and was dry before tie-ing the beans
the first soak in black bean dye black beans soaked in water for twelve hours
after a twelve hour soak, I added the water I used for cooking the blackbeans and brought the whole mixture plus shirt almost to boiling point, turned off the gas and let it cool down; after rinsing and washing with water and soap the colour went from purple to blue-green. 

4 comments:

jan said...

i've had the best results from soya milk mordants. these are lovely. jan

saskia said...

thank you Jan, I have noticed you are dyeing as well

Dee said...

what a great idea to tie the beans into the ties! the result is amazing.

saskia said...

yes i was rather pleased with that, it was a lot of work to tie and then untie them!! but worth it I think